Having supported and managed a number of very different Award Events over the last 18 months, I thought it would be useful to share some of my top tips to organising a successful Awards Event. These can be applied to any Awards Event large or small, for any sector or for any level of sceniority.
Awards Event checklist.
1. Don’t be tempted to create more awards categories than you need. If there are only 4 main categories, then 4 it should be.
2. Make it clear what the awardscategories are with an explanation of who its aimed at and who is eligible to participate.
3. Make the awards application process easy and straight forward. Have a clear entry process. Include word counts, formats accepted and deadlines.
4. If practical and realistic, allow applicants the opportunity to enter awards using different media from video, blogs and presentations.
5. To ensure you get up to date examples, provide a clear date from where projects and success can be taken from, for example, only projects that started on or after the 1st January 2018 are eligible.
6. Communicate at least 3 benefits of submitting an entry. This could be from raising your profile, celebrating success to gaining recognition.
7. Recruit a Judging panel that have gravitas and industry influence. Share who will be Judging the award entry’s, their credential’s and qualifications.
8. Have a clear and transparent Judging process. Detail what the judges will be looking for and how entries will be scored.
9. Inform people of the next steps, i.e. When shortlisted entries will be announced.
10. Design an Awards Final that will provide guest with the opportunity to network, celebrate and gain exposure.